Sunday, August 24, 2008

Philosophical deo

It is Sunday evening and the raise of the bright sun is hitting my back as I am standing at the Madhupur railway station waiting for the train to Delhi. The train is half an hour late and as per the anounsement will pull into platform 2 with in a few minutes. Pankaj Da from Judav is with me and has come to drop me to the train. I asked him “is the train coming” “yes replied he, its just arrived” I strain my years to hear the rattle of the train. “It’s slow” “yes just 100 meters away”. ….. He dropped me to the door of the coach A3 and I bid thanks and good bye. As Now my task was to find my seat (24) – I asked the people sitting on the first cubical, got no response, asked the people in the next cubical, “what number is this” a lady responded “43” so I realized I was on the other side of the compartment. I now decided that I will walk up to the other end of the cabin and count from 1 to reach 24 as I generally do. So walked up and counted the bunks, 6 – 12 – 18- 24 so there am I on my seat – side upper. Being little unhappy as I got a side seat I took my seat. – I herd some one opposite to my seat. I asked him “where are you going” He replied “delhi” ……. I was really unhappy with the side lower birth for my height and thought that the e-ticket that I was carrying mentioned A3 22 instead of A3 24. Indignantly I pulled out my ticket from the pile of papers in my bag and put it out to the gentleman asking him “please check if it states 22 or 24” I got no response – then slowly I put my hand out to the seat where he was sitting (it was empty) so a little embarrassed I tuck my ticket in quickly. After a few minutes the gentleman came back. This time he asked me “are you going to Delhi” “yes replied I” – He asked “you are working” - “yes I replied, I work for an NGO in Delhi” I asked him the same question “I am working in a cloth company” “Ia am from Kolkata” he replied. The train is half an hour late I asked – “no, must be around 15 minutes late he said” – “what time did you start from Kolkata” 2.05 he replied” Then he asked “you have any problem with your eyes” – “I am blind I replied” “totally” he asked “yes”- “no you must be able to see” – I laugh and replied “why should I lie regarding my blindness” – you are working in a company, you are perfect, you tell the time so you are joking he stated – I laughed and replied again “can’t blind people do all these things?” – Then you must be able to see a little “no, I replied” Then he asked me the time “how you see the time” I showed him my watch and asked him can you see the time in my watch? “yes” I opened my Braille watch and told him the time 6 PM. “amazing he sied” – “what is amazing about it, exclaimed I” By the time the attender came to serve the snacks – I told him that I am blind and requested him to let me know when ever you are giving food. – as the last time I traveled in Rajdhani 5 years ago I missed a few course of the meal as the attender did not know I was blind. My Philosophical deo then asked me “you are traveling in Rajdhani?” – “What about it, I asked” – “do you get concession?” “why should I get a concession said I” – no generally you get consession – “There is no consession system in rajdhani for any one” – “ you should have got” replied he – “not necessarily said I” – I then stopped the conversation and started listening to my book which I had carried and had my snacks. After reading the whole book now it is around 1130 PM and time to sleep. But as I go to bed I think that philosophical deo of mine might be thinking as to how a blind man can travel AC coach that too on a Rajdhani express as he went to bed or he might have taken me for an object of joke.

1 comment:

Vijaya Mishra said...

Praveen, I can understand your discomfort at being asked things, which though not direct, still borders around - "persons with disability being not normal and to be pitied". The gentleman's thinking (that your being able to travel in a train or knowing the time is 'amazing')may hurt. But in reality how many 'Praveens' people see in their day to day life? We need more 'Praveens' - How? A daunting task and long way ahead.....