Saturday, November 8, 2008

life in London 1

Some comparisons of living in London and Delhi as a visually impaired person:

1. The payments are so clean enabling me to walk with my white cane; I seldom bump into trees, poles or need to navigate ditches which I often need to do in Delhi.- Often walk on the streets or road in Delhi.
2. The curbs on the footpath are so clearly laid out and even have warning tiles at each end for me to know when the road ends or begins.- no payments in delhi so there is no question of warning tiles:
3. The tube system is so friendly that I get assistance at the stations to board and unboard the tube. - Need to seek for help in Delhi.
4. No dogs on the streets to bark at my cane.
5. Tubes and busses have announcements of the stops so makes it easier to know when to get off – need to always ask co-passengers in Delhi.
6. Staff at the super bazaars support me in picking what ever I need from the shop. – do not get often in Delhi.
7. Got reading material from the parliament house in both audio format and in Braille – can’t think of one in Delhi.
8. Systems for cooking are simple. - Use of heating system and micro wave.
9. There are different cultural and artistic groups for visually impaired people where one can participate.
10. Banks don't ask for too many questions : can easily withdraw cash.
11. Generally public are helpful.

Guru Bhai

No comments: